Humble Walking Tour courtesy of the Humble Museum

Water Works (Block b)


Water Works site today

Today (above)


Back then...


In 1926, the Humble Water Works was located on Barrett Street (Main Street). Nick Lambrecht was President and Superintendent, and Alfred Lambrecht was the General Manager.

Humble Water Works

Humble Water Works

A pumping station was used to move water from the well up to the top of the water tower. From the tower, gravity moved water through pipes to different locations around town, typically to very affluent customers that could afford to have water pipes installed at their homes. Residents without water pipes at their homes could purchase barrels of water from Lambrecht for $3.00. The City of Humble took over water operations for citizens in 1933, and moved the water works closer to the railroad tracks.

Humble Water Works

Humble Water Works

In 1956, the Humble Junior Chamber of Commerce (Jaycees) began construction of a swimming pool at the northeast corner of Main Street and Old Humble Road. They built a pool that was 92 feet long, 35 feet wide at the deep end and 50 feet wide at the shallow end. Underwater lights were installed to allow for night swimming.

Humble Swimming Pool, 1956

Humble Swimming Pool, 1956

For months, volunteers worked every night until 10 o'clock to build the pool. Most of the materials were donated, including pipe, sand and gravel. The Jayce-Ettes paid for the fence around the pool and the two diving boards. The volunteers managed to build a $70,000 pool for only $5,330. Both groups helped to continue the development Hirsch Park, located in front of the pool.

Humble Swimming Pool, 1956

Humble Swimming Pool, 1956


Return to Block B