Built prior to 1940, the Recreation Hall was located on Old Humble Road, between Barrett Street and Higgins Street. Hirsch Memorial Park was built next to the Recreation Hall in 1944.
Recreation Hall on the Sanford Insurance Map, 1940
The Recreation Hall had a large banquet room (for dinner or dancing), a small stage, and kitchen facilities. It was used for dances, town meetings, and recitals. The Illiterate Club used it for their annual party for many years.
Back of the Recreation Hall, 1956
The Recreation Hall was demolished after being damaged by a fire in March 1960.
Recreation Hall, 1960