Humble Walking Tour courtesy of the Humble Museum

Hirsch Park (Block b)


Hirsch Park today

Today (above)


Back then...


ATHLETIC FIELDS - In 1933, Harris County constructed community athletic fields on the land. When ground was broken on the fields, a ceremony was held with speeches by Harris County Judge W. H. Ward, Harris County Commissioner W. P. Tautenhan, Jack Rafferty (head of the Houston Sports Conference), Humble School Board President W. H. Bennett, and Humble School Superintendent Frank W. Allenson. The sports field included a football field, baseball diamond, tennis and volleyball courts, a playground, a circular track and a grandstand. Use of the field was supervised by the Humble ISD School Board.

CITY PARK - In 1944, the Humble P. T. A. started a campaign to turn the area into a city park.  To pay for landscaping and playground equipment, funds were collected by community members and by children at school. R. W. Condon drew plans for the landscaping. The children of Jules Hirsch deeded the land to the city for use as a park, in honor of their father. JULES HIRSCH (1854-1926) served as an alderman for the city of Houston from 1894 to 1898, and held the position of Houston Assessor and Tax Collector. He also served as a Harris County Commissioner from 1896 to 1900 and again from 1905 to 1909. The committee for planning and expenditures was composed of Floyd Burton, Miss Louise Cezeaux, Ellis Herron, Walker Griffith, Lloyd Martin, and Lee Fields. The finance committee was headed by Mrs. Harvey Bender and included Mrs. Lloyd Martin, Mrs. Let Fields, Mrs. Ellis Herron, and Miss Dorothy Snyder.

 


Return to Block B